donderdag 19 januari 2012

About the people




The last three days were cancelled. It was interesting to see the difference of opinion between the Europeans and Argentineans what can be a contest day or not. But I’ll spare you the details…


Three days cancelled


I want to take the time to tell a bit about the people.


It’s a bit of a cliché, but it’s true: hospitality, family values and passion.
It’s really amazing how friendly and helpful the people are here. I got lots of examples, but let me pick one:

I had some trouble getting Pesos out of the ATM. I asked Eduardo Toselli about it. He asked Daniel -Potti- Dekker right away because he works at the bank. Before I knew it I was in the car to town with both of them. Problem solved. Maybe not very special, but what you don’t know: Eduardo is head of task setting and Potti the sub-director of the competition and president of the club “Otto Ballod”. Still not special? Then you should know how much work still had to be done to make the deadlines for the contest. But helping this one contestant was more important than getting things done in time. That’s what I call special!

When I’m talking about Eduardo I would like to introduce two of them. First of all the one I just told you about. He is the IGC delegate and task setter of the contest. He is head of the family where I feel myself a sort of adopted for the time of the competition. He is a very kind guy and a hard worker and is helping everybody with everything you can imagine.

The whole family is here and consists of:
- Christina, his wife who takes care of all very well, including me!
- Three sons: Franco, who is my retriever and personal translator and many more. He resembles his father the most and almost finished his study in chemistries. Juan, a dentist, who is very in love with Lu (the BBQ girl). Santi, a constructor, who is in the media team of the organization. He loves the good stuff of life and knows lots of details, therefore he reminds me of my own brother.
- Lucien, the only daughter and the oldest with her husband Enrique (Kike). He was a fighter pilot and flies now for Argentinas Aerolineas and makes sure everyone gets launched within 1,5 hours. They have a 1,5 years old daughter Delfine and of course she is the “niña del ojo” of the family..
Mustn’t forget: Emma & Renata, two sausage dogs who watch over the surroundings.

The Argentineans have two weeks of vacation per year (some have a bit more). Who will spend his or her ONLYvacation with the family on an airfield back in Europe? So much for family values…

The other Eduardo is called Barrera. He is head of the National Aero Club (FAFAV) and contest director. His family is here too. Both families fly at Córdoba and seems to be old and good friends. The “11” I rented is from this club.


When I talk about Eduardo Barrera I can easily switch to the third cliché I pointed out: passion. I don’t understand much of his (Spanish) briefing, but I just love to watch and listen. It’s a bit hard to explain, you should experience it for yourself. There is just a lot of emotion and I can really enjoy that. I think he would be a great politician too… ;) He is a good example, but it’s not only him. You can see and feel it everywhere. They don’t do things here, they live it. They try very hard and do that with lots of enthusiasm. I know the gliding community as a family, regardless of where and who you are, but here is the best example I have seen so far.




Barrera's in the front, Toselli's at the end and me in the middle.



There is one more thing I would like to tell about the people: their eating habits. Beside the times they eat it’s just my thing! I already told you about the meat and wine, but I discovered something else that is well beloved here: Dulche-de-Leche. Caramel and milk in a sticky creamy form. You see it everywhere and can put it in or on almost everything. I was searching for a good one that I could take home in my overfull suitcase and as if she knew I got one from Anallia Dekker when she introduced herself to me. It’s 1 kg in cardboard and from Chaves itself (you can visit the factory): perfect! Thanks Anallia!


Today will be a good day. Looks like it’s going to be a very fast task. I’m enjoying it already!!!

8 opmerkingen:

  1. you bet ! wining the day and 1 kg of dulce de leche is sort of excelent combination ! Enjoy both, you won and deserve them all.

    regards,
    jorge

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Jeroen ben weer helemaal bijgelezen en heb gezien dat je een 1000 punten dag hebt gehad. Gefeliciterd, nog 1 plaatsje hoger he. Fijne vakantie in ????????? gr.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. also thanks for your understanding of people on my country.
    I can feel nothing but proud for what they do and the passion they put on it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Hey, Wow all the posts are very informative for the people who visit this site. Good work! We also have a Blog.Please feel free to visit our site. Thank you for sharing.
    @ Packers And Movers Gurgaon
    Packers And Movers Gurgaon to Pune
    Packers And Movers Gurgaon to Bhubaneswar
    Packers And Movers Gurgaon to Bhopal

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I really Loved your blog. I am an Ernakulam based mover. Whether your move is a residence or office, local or long distance, Best House Shifting in Kochi and Best House Shifting in Ernakulam that is second to none

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen